Having the best possible start in life is so important to everyone’s chances in later life. I am pleased that since 2010, more pupils now attend good or outstanding schools.
My priorities for rocket boosting our young people’s life chances in Hertford and Stortford include:
- Promoting the value of apprenticeships, recognising their ability to address key skills deficits that we have and putting them on parity with other post-16 qualifications.
- Exploring innovative ways to improve the literacy rates of our youngest pupils.
- Improving SEND provision in Hertford and Stortford.
My achievements in this area so far include:
- Becoming the first MP to host a virtual Jobs & Apprenticeships Fair during the pandemic, linking young people with potential employers and apprenticeship training opportunities.
- Leading the parliamentary side of the Turn on the Subtitles campaign, resulting in many major broadcasters, like Sky and Amazon Prime, committing to pilot the scheme.
- Assisting Hertfordshire County Council with their plans to create more school places for pupils with SEND.